Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Various types of blogging

A quick musing-about-blogging entry. I can't remember whether I said that earlier in the year I discovered that there was someone in the Education Department of Sheffield University who is also a Blogger on Blogger at http://drkatesartyfacts.blogspot.com/
It's quite exciting discovering a fellow blogger, I think. Anyway, looking at her blog and blogs she links to and the comments theron made me think how this blog looks a lot less personal and passionate than blogs where there is more of a personal thread and more frequent commenting between bloggers.

With this blog, although I know there are people who find it useful, like the photos etc., I wouldn't expect them to keep saying "this is useful" , and indeed when I find other similar blogs (like the ones linked on the right) useful, I don't usually actually comment on the blog itself. What I would rather tend to do is make an entry linking to the other blog. Obviously this has a lot to do with the nature of this blog i.e. that it is more of a "knowledge blog" focusing on a subject area. On the other hand, I do feel quite ...um ... passionate about this blog (or do I mean obsessive), and also the photos provide a parallel, more personal, thread, since they at least give an indication of where I am geographically. Anyway, I still think blogging is an interesting medium, and it's fascinating to see different approaches and conventions arising about how people use them.

Photo by Sheila Webber: Early morning, Port Julia, South Australia.

No comments: