Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy new year!

I'm just back at work, being horribly reminded of all the work I left to do "after Christmas"...

Looking back on 2006, interest in Information Literacy still seems to be growing, as does the concern about things I would see as being part of (or closely related to) information literacy e.g. media literacy. Nevertheless, there are still struggles to get, or keep, information literacy on the agenda in some institutions. What I find most depressing is when well-established, influential librarians are publically dismissive of information literacy and librarians' teaching role, and see the future just in repositories and other more depersonalised "backroom" roles (not that those roles aren't important, but they aren't the only ones in my view). Hopefully there will be a really positive time for information literacy in 2007!

Photo by Sheila Webber: Blackheath, December 2006.

No comments: